Saturday, December 27, 2008

2 Marble Cakes on 2nd Day of Christmas

It was 2nd day of Christmas. I'm at home and awake with an energise body for some baking! And this was despite that I left a message to all that I would be taking a break from baking after all those Christmas cookies.
But since the baking mood was there, how could I let it slip away? I took the opportunity and baked marble cakes!


The 1st recipe was picked from my new recipe book, Gorgeous Cakes - a gift from my colleagues.



Creaming of the butter and sugar, followed by eggs and milk and lastly the addition of flours. On the right was the melted choc.



The batter was split equally and one of which was mixed with the cooled melted choc.



I poured them alternatively into 2 loaf tins to create the marble effect. One of the tins was part of the gift too.



Baked them at preheated oven of 190 Deg C for 30-35mins.



I suceeded! The cakes were pretty high, even though the batter was not alot.





The second recipe was taken from blogger, My Kitchen My Laboratory. The difference here was the addition of ground hazelnut which replaced with ground almond as that was I had on hand. Also, coffee and butter were added to the choc.



The marble cake from recipe 2 didn't rise as high, but the moisture won over the former!



Marble cake from 1st recipe. The crumble left after I cut away half of the loaf.



It was a tad dry for my taste. But I was still glad that I baked these on the 2nd day of Christmas



Marbled Bundt Cake (http://mykitchenmylaboratory.blogspot.com/2007/05/marbles-or-marbling.html)

125g all-purpose flour
25g ground hazelnut(or walnuts
tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
110g butter
135g sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
120ml buttermilk*
15g butter
85g bittersweet chocolate (Blogger used 70% chocolate while I used dark choc)
25ml coffee
10ml Irish Cream** (Blogger's own addition but I omittted)
½ tsp instant coffee granules

1. Generously grease a 7-inch bundt pan. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda. Add in ground hazelnuts and salt. Whisk to combine.
3. Melt butter and chocolate over a double-boiler until completely melted. Cool slightly. Whisk in coffee Irish Cream and coffee granules. Stir to combine.
4. Cream the butter for about 1 min to soften. Gradually sugar and beat until light and creamy. Dribble in eggs slowly, about 1 tbsp at a time, beating constantly for about 2 mins. Beat in vanilla.
5. On LOW speed, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture until just combined. Beat in ½ of the buttermilk. Then beat in 1/2 of the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining buttermilk. Finally beat in the remaining flour mixture.
6. Transfer slightly less than half the batter into the bowl with the chocolate mixture. Fold to combine completely.
7. Drop alternately spoonfuls of the two batters into the prepared tin. Swirl a thin knife/spatula through the batter once.
8. Bake for about 35- 40 mins till skewer inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan for 5 mins. Unmold and cool completely.

* Blogger made her own buttermilk by using ½ tbsp lemon juice and topping up with fresh milk to 120ml. Stir mixture, and set aside for 15 mins before using.
** Blogger added in Irish Cream. The taste was not pronounced at all after baking. It can be omitted and replaced with 10ml coffee.

No comments: