Saturday, October 11, 2008

Coffee Swiss Roll - My Successful 3rd Attempt!

I'd been fearing when I decided to try my hands at Swiss Roll again.
Though it looks as easy as the simple ingredients used, you may not get an easy cake to roll as you want it to be.

You know I'll get persistent if I failed at something once and wana go for it again. So I checked up Aunty Yochana's blog and found a few recipes for Swiss Roll, which I tried the Coffee Swiss Roll.



Whisking eggs and sugar together till light and fluffy.





The batter after the addition of flour and coffee mixture.

I split the batter into 2 trays as the batter seemed alot.



Praying as I stood by to watch.



It looked and smell like a giant rectangle omelette to me.



Now for the rolling.

I spread vanilla butter cream from Chockylit and roasted almond flakes.



I was too anxious with the 1st roll and had toppled it out from the tray to cool immediately from the oven. The 'skin' had gotten stuck to the wax paper.



But I was still happy with the result that I could finally roll a swiss roll!



I sliced them up into 4 for my gathering later.



For the 2nd Swiss Roll, I let it cool in the tray itself before I flipped it on the rack.



The skin was intact, and had a smooth sheen on it.



I decorate each slice with the buttercream and roasted almond flakes.

These are for Pig. Yes, 1 big fat guy can eat all these by himself.



Coffee Swiss Roll (http://auntyyochana.blogspot.com/2006/10/coffee-swiss-roll.html)


Ingredients:
5 eggs
90 gm. castor sugar
1 Tbsp. instant coffee (Nescafe) mix with 1 Tbsp. hot water (I used left over mocha powder I that I bought from Phoon Huat)
100 gm. Plain flour
60 gm. melted butter or 120 gm. cornoil (I used cornoil)
Butter cream ( I followed Chockylit since Aunty's will take more patience to whip)
1 Tbsp. instant coffee powder mix with 1 Tbsp. hot water
80 gm. chopped roasted walnuts (You can use whatever nuts you have. Like me, I used almond flakes)


1. Whisk eggs and sugar together till light and fluffy.
2. Add in coffee mixture and gently fold in sifted plain flour, add in melted butter and mix well until combined.
3. Pour into a rectangular tray of 10" x 14" and bake at 200C for about 8 - 10 mins.
4. Remove from oven and leave on wire rack to cool completly.
5. Mix butter cream with cofee mixture.
6. Turn sponge cake onto a piece of greaseproof paper, spread coffee butter cream on top and then sprinkle chopped roasted walnuts on top (leave some walnuts for decoration - optional).
7. Roll gently from the wide end into a swiss roll using paper as a guide to lift cake.
8. Put into the refrigerator to let it set before slicing.


No comments: